Hurray for summer and warm weather and Summer Library Program time! They are back and so am I. I spent the past month packing up, sprucing up, selling and buying a house and am finally relocated and ready to rock and blog- just in time for summer.
The fantastic crew I work with developed a monster fun program for kids that combines all the best aspects of what I think makes a great public library summer program:
1. It's easy and understandable for the kids (and parents!)
2. It puts the emphasis on the fun of reading rather than many onerous requirements.
3. It invites the families to return to the library periodically on their schedule.
4. It involves the community in providing grand prizes (fun experiences like tickets to baseball games; free museum passes; time spent with city workers; visits to local eateries). The community buys in and appreciates what we are doing.
5. It provides a book as a prize.
6. It is easy for the staff (and volunteers) to administer leaving LOTS more time to do reader's advisory, visiting with the kids, reference and beaucoup programs.
What could be better?!?!