4.13.2012

Girl Power

Given the state of our country and the strong negative messages being given to women and girls by politicians and legislators, this website came to my attention at a perfect time.  It is full of great suggestions for books and movies that show strong female role models. I also stumbled on Wollstonecraft thanks to the Hedgehog and this children's ebook project looks particularly exciting for girls.

Last month I attended a national unconference on feminism in librarianship, Out of the Attic and Into the Stacks.  One of the discussion points was how to pursue feminism within your library work.  To my way of thinking, it's every day and every way.  I compliment girls on how strong or smart they are.  I encourage women on staff and in the profession to reach higher and look for ways to open leadership doors for them.  I make sure books with positive, strong images of girls get plenty of face-out display (and I am not talking about bitchy images or princessy-simpering). 

Sometimes small steps accumulate into a powerful march. And we can do it every day.





2 comments:

  1. It’s nice that the website compiled a collection of books which focuses on women and girls. It shows that women are not forgotten in today’s society but valued for their strength and determination. You made a good suggestion for libraries to practice; we need the public to be educated about the importance of women in society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fabulous website, Marge! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete