2.25.2012

Surrounded-By- Awesome Saturday


So here I am immersed in literacy, literacy, literacy - and I thought it was going to be a typical, somewhat slow, Saturday morning.  What's up?

Thirty members of our university's education honor society, Kappa Delta Pi, are crammed in every space in the Children's Room sharing stories and activities with kids at the Literacy Alive Day they created for us. We provide the space, they provide the magic.

The Friends of the Library are holding a booksale. We provide the discards, they provide the money for all our programs with their profits.

Families who knew nothing about either event are pouring in, bringing in their completed 1000 Books Before Kindergarten sheets. We provide the "stealth program," families provide the reading and return visits.

Teachers and kids are looking for books and info: "sharks; Curious George; teeth and dental health; books better than Junie B. Jones; more of Bergen's Samantha books; locating Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back; what's going on in here?" They provide the questions, we provide the answers...with a smile.

2nd grade kids who came to the library for a field trip adventure and became Library Stars the past two weeks are stopping by to check out materials and pick up their flashing star. We provide the amazing visit, they provide the enthusiastic return.

I think I'm happy that this is only a half a day for me. And I think I am happy that people love our library so much!

Image: 'Storm Crowdhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/83346641@N00/3574716051

3 comments:

  1. Books better than Junie B. Jones - Princess Posy. I love this new series and I get so many parents complaining about Junie's behavior and bad grammar that it's nice to have an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one. I also suggested Katie Woo on the low end; Pennypacker's Clementine on the high end & Cleo books by Harper in between.

      Delete
  2. Huh, Cleo is new to me - will have to check it out. I love Daisy Dawson, but it's not quite the same feel so Junie B. fans don't always go for it.

    ReplyDelete