1.22.2010

Rainbows and Bloomers


Two of my favorite recommended booklists have just hit the press. The Rainbow Project, a joint committee of ALA's SRRT and GLBTRT looks at books for kids birth through age 18 that have significant authentic GLBTQ content and publishes an annual list. I am truly pleased to see the robustness of the list. Every child needs to find themselves in books and this list will help all of us grow our collections for the rainbow of children who use our libraries.

And the Amelia Bloomer Project from ALA's Feminist Task Force of SRRT has come out with their list of recommmended feminist literature for kids birth through age 18 as well. It is another rich list that has content that celebrates strong women and girls as well as highlighting the struggles women have had and continue to have.

Thanks to library.groupie@gmail.com for the heads up!

3 comments:

  1. Ooo! I missed the Amelia Bloomer list! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you for posting both of these lists! Both are subjects that deserve attention. I'm off to add (even more) books to my (neverending) TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Tasha's thanks--I need to go look at the Amelia Bloomer list right now!

    ReplyDelete